UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO CO-OP EDUCATION AND CAREER ACTION PROGRAM (CECA)
The University of Waterloo’s Co-op Program is the largest and most well known Cooperative Education program in the world. Due to their success, the program has experienced major growth over the years. CECS engaged our services to facilitate a process that resulted in the complete restructuring of the entire organization in order to secure their place at the head of the class in co-op education for both the present and the future.
What were the objectives?
- To provide more jobs for students — jobs with more relevance to their program areas and goals
- To provide student jobs by using a more employer-centred model
What was our process?
We used a very consultative approach throughout the entire organization for this two-year project. It has included:
- Creation of a charter
- Development of current and future maps of organizational processes, including decision making
- A new organizational structure that moved the organization from a functional structure to a matrixed, team-based structure
- Creation of new and revised roles
- Development of role descriptions
- A new competency framework
- An organizational development plan
- An implementation plan
- A change management plan
What were the results?
- Eighty-five percent of employees have been re-deployed into one of their top choices for roles in the new organizational structure, which encourages both engagement and knowledge retention.
- Of the 15 percent of employees remaining, the majority has been retained by CECA or the university.
The University of Waterloo now has the basis for the benchmark measures required for a sound scorecard that will allow them to measure their results going forward.