Global Travel Services Company
In 2012, a leader in the global travel services industry made a dramatic change in how it operated. The change impacted 4,500 agents and leaders located in major cities around the world. The organization sought to increase its competitiveness and ultimately its revenue and profitability.
What were the objectives?
- Increase its “Recommend to a Friend” (RTF) score on customer surveys; and
- Satisfy customer expectations around an agent’s ability to provide local destination information – flights, hotels, services and sightseeing.
What was our process?
- Invested in an analytics and reporting add-on to its existing customer relationship management (CRM) system to track and report RTF scores at the individual, team, site and organizational level.
- Invested in a social intranet to capture agent local knowledge of restaurants, hotels and sights, the organization.
- Paced the change to ensure that the global network put laser focus on the organization’s priorities.
- Year 1 — Provide agents and leaders with the skills, knowledge and reporting to adopt the behaviours that increase RTF scores on customer surveys.
- Year 2 — Reinforce the skills and behaviours that increase RTF. Train and build a self-regulated community of contributing agents to take ownership of the social intranet. Populate social intranet content with the top 25 national and top 25 international destinations.
- Year 3 — Launch the social intranet to enable the global network to easily provide customers with local destination information, including flights, hotels, services and sightseeing.
- Conducted an impact assessment to identify those levers that would net 80% of the results with 20% of the effort.
- Examined the organization from varied levels and angles to capture insights to drive the design of the customized change plan.
What were the results?
- RTF all customer segments at 70% – up 19% year-over-year and 5% over target.
- The five-step process of an effective call and RTF coaching fully integrated into daily operations.
- RTF all customer segments at 74% – up 4% year-over-year increase and 1% off target
- RTF high-value customer segment at 85%.
- Social intranet populated with local information for the top 25 national and international destinations.
- Social intranet user penetration at 50% – on target.
- Agents who were active social intranet users achieved higher RTF scores.